We were so excited to find out what we were having for our third child, so our kind friend offered to do an early ultra sound so that we could meet our new little family member! As we were driving to the clinic, I started to feel extremely uneasy. I asked him if he would tell us if anything was wrong. He reassured us that he would and that he would probably say something like "we'll need to talk to a doctor about this."
As soon as the ultra sound began, our first glimpse was of our baby's' head. I immediately asked "is it supposed to look like that?" Instead of seeing any brain tissue, it was completely black. Our friend said, "We'll need to talk to a doctor..." I started to cry and tried to focus on other information he gave us-- we were having a BOY!!! We were counseled to set up appointments with doctors and specialists so that we could learn more about our special little guy. Our hearts were heavy that night as we worried about our new little boy and the challenges that were likely ahead.
Within a few weeks we decided we wanted to name our little boy so that we could pray for him by name. We named him Caleb Joseph! Caleb was a righteous Israelite in the old testament who was always faithful and was known for his fearlessness in the face of overwhelming odds. He was a special friend to Joshua, and we've felt that our little baby is really close to his brothers, Joshua and Matthew. Joseph Smith is Dallan's hero, and it seems only fitting that our little hero should be named after such a special prophet for his middle name.
3 comments:
I love how inspired you were to name your son Caleb. I think it fits him perfectly!
Your husband did an amazing job sharing Caleb's story yesterday at the BYU devotional!!
I think that might have been the best devotional I have ever heard.
I was extremely touched by your husband's devotional that I saw today. It was one of the best devotionals I have ever seen. I felt the spirit so strongly. I searched and found your blog and I have been bawling my eyes out. What a special little boy he was. You and your husband are so strong and I admire you so much.
Post a Comment