Saturday, March 28, 2009

The privilege of caring

Have you ever had the privilege of caring for something so beautiful
it took your breath away?
I have.
Have you ever cared so much
you couldn't find the words to describe it?
I have.

Sometimes I'm asked what our biggest challenges are in caring for Caleb.
It's not the hospital stays or therapy appointments.
It's not the dressings and diaper changes.
It's not his trach or his g tube cares.
It's not his medications or his monitors.
Taking care of Caleb is a part of the privilege of having him.
I think hardest part of caring so much is knowing
that some day I might have to say good bye.
But, even that worry is a tender part of the privilege of caring.

Sometimes we have challenges,
sometimes we're worried, sometimes we're sad,
sometimes we're disappointed, sometimes we're sick.
But it's all a part of the privilege of being here
and experiencing mortality to the fullest.
Sometimes we have challenges
but the plan is still perfect.
We are lovingly cared for
more than we can ever imagine.
When we look down deep we'll see that
what we have is beautiful.
It is perfect.

I love caring for Caleb.
He is perfect to me.
It is privilege that I can't find the words to describe.
It fills my heart
To care so deeply
and it takes my breath away
every day.

Matthew recently told me, "Mom, I just hope that when Caleb is resurrected he'll still have his winking eye because it's just so cute!"
I couldn't agree more!

9 comments:

Junior said...

Such a wonderful view of your life with Caleb. I feel that same privilege with Junior.
Thank you for sharing those beautiful words.

Devon said...

April, you so perfectly perfectly expressed what I've had in my heart lately. I was meaning to do a post similar to this, so I hope you don't mind. This is a beautiful post. You know what? I might even steal it and link back to you. Would you mind that? I just love this post so much!!

C said...

This is a beautiful thing to read.

I had a dream two nights ago that we went to Stake Conference and met... you! And you went and got Caleb so that I could meet him. It felt like such a priviledge to meet this little boy that I have read so much about, and seen so many beautiful pictures of. In my dream he was barefoot, and I touched his soft little toes.

Thank you Caleb, for being in my dream! And thank you, April, for letting me get to know Caleb (and you!) long distance.

Hugs,
Christy

Becky said...

I love that you expressed so well exactly how I feel. I KNOW that you KNOW. :) This was a beautiful, heartfelt post.

arianne said...

I love this. And I'm glad I got to see Caleb the other day. Thanks for helping us. I REALLY appreaciate you sacrificing part of your day for us. You're an angel. I love you.

shirlgirl said...

This is a beautiful post, April. Caleb is such a sweet spirit and to do all that you have to for him is the reason why he has been entrusted in your hands. He is being cared for with such love, not only by you, but all of your family. He is a very lucky boy.

minerfam said...

I think that this is a perfect tribute to motherhood! Each child has different needs and every mother cares specifically to their needs. It makes it all worthwhile to reflect on the privilege motherhood truly is. Thanks for your sweet words and encouragement to stay positive and remember the bright side of things!

Love ya- DanaLee

Kel said...

Truly beautiful. I've thought about my "special needs" baby lately, and how we are ALL special needs babies! Your post on "caring" brings it all home.

lori parkhurst said...

I found your blog and you don't know me, but I grew up with sunny johnson. I enjoy reading your blog because you have the best attitude about everything. You are admired by people who don't even know you. Keep up your strong spirits! You are a strong woman!