Friday, March 12, 2010

What could have been

When we were expecting Caleb, we knew he would have significant challenges. We knew he might not be born alive. When he was, we were hurried out of the NICU so that he could die at home. Our hearts were broken as we contemplated losing our baby boy, and we knew each day we had was a precious gift.
Because we've been so worried about losing him, we haven't mourned what could have been for Caleb. He could have quickly returned to heaven, but instead he has quietly brought heaven to us.
It is okay that he has a special body.
His presence...is enough.






I love you my angel boy.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely moving post xx

Candace said...

YES....YES....YES.....perfectly enough!

Lacey said...

Beautiful!!

Becky said...

That was beautiful April. I feel exactly the SAME way about Ben. Those pictures are just SO cute...I can't tell you how I long to squeeze that boy of yours. Please do it for me until I can come out again!!! xoxo

Tara Bennett said...

He truly is such a gift. You are lucky to have him, but also amazing to keep the right perspective. Love you two!

Devon said...

"He could have quickly returned to heaven, but instead he has quietly brought heaven to us."

Beautiful. And so true. I know it is for us as well.

Thanks for this today, April.

Rubypat said...

I look at your beautiful little boy, and I see the love that surrounds him. I, too, have a little one, who at 6 mths of age was given weeks to live. She is now 7 years old, and in the first nearly 6 years of life she challenged all the medical predictions. The past 15 months have been filled with uncertainty, as her condition deteriorates, and we continually increase her pain medication to keep her comfortable. But she inspires me with her love and her courage, and I see the impact that her life has on other people. When she puts her arms up, to try to hug me, and says in her slow, slurred speech: "I ---- like ---- you." and I hug her and tell her "I LOVE you" I know that God has given me a special child to love and nurture. God bless you and your family.

Bugg's mama said...

amen to that, sister!

Love, Bree

The Five Jacksons said...

Thanks for always saying things so beautifully with such a positive perspective. You truly are an inspiration. I want to grow up to be like April!

Janene Baadsgaard said...

Caleb has brought heaven to all of us. Thank you for sharing your holy experience.