Sunday, April 26, 2009

Whole

Are you having a girl or a boy? That seems to be the most often asked question when you're expecting a new little one. Those who don't have a preference might respond with something like: "We just want a healthy baby" or "we don't care as long as it has 10 fingers and ten toes..."
I probably would have agreed- before I had Caleb. When we were expecting Caleb, we knew his brain was missing the corpus collosum, but other than that, we had a limited amount of information. I remember the day that a doctor called me after viewing the results of an in-utero MRI. He casually told me that Caleb was missing one of his eyes.

One eye. Caleb only had one eye. Over the next few months, it seemed that every time we learned something new, something else was missing. When Caleb was born, we soon found out that he was missing his brain. That information wasn't the most devastating.
"You'll likely have weeks before his death...take him home, there is nothing more we can do" was the most devastating.

It didn't matter what was missing. It didn't matter that he wasn't a healthy baby.
I couldn't bear the thought of missing him....
Caleb isn't incomplete. In fact, he is more whole than I am.
I love every little part of him.
I wonder what I'll say the next time I'm expecting and I'm asked my preferences.
Perhaps I'll just answer that I'm profoundly thankful for the privilege.

This past week I took my 4 year old Caleb on a walk.
I took a picture of him over the top of his stroller.

10 little toes...

Perfect.

Just like he is.

15 comments:

Joy said...

Wonderful post. And he is perfect!

Junior said...

Beautiful, Caleb is perfect

arianne said...

Oh, April. You made me cry. This is beautiful.

shirlgirl said...

He is perfect, and I just love those chubby feet and those ten toes. He has a beautiful face and chunky cheeks that you just want to kiss and a smile that would knock you over. And, in God's eyes, he is the most perfect of perfect human beings because none of God's children are imperfect. Love to you both.

minerfam said...

I LOVE this post too! You are an amazing mother with a great perspective on life and kids... Thanks for your boosts!!!

Love you - DanaLee

Becky said...

APRIL! I just read this and it's beautiful. I love the way you so eloquently express yourself. Kiss those toes for me...:)

Devon said...

Beautiful, beautiful post. It made me smile and truly touched my heart. You are so sweet.

Travis & Natalie Nelson said...

Thank you for that wonderful post. I love to get on Caleb's blog and see how he is doing. I am a member of your church and live in Overton, NV. I also have all boys. You are a very special mother.

Jen said...

Beautiful post. I love his 10 little perfect toes. He is so sweet.

Blessings,

Jen
God's Shining Stars

Kel said...

Like those comments before mine, this is a truly touching post. I couldn't agree with you more.

Anonymous said...

April, thank you for sharing your heart and personal insight. Love you.

Ali Harper said...

love, love, love this post...Caleb is wonderful!

Jessica said...

That is very touching. It gave me a lot to think about.

Amanda said...

What a beautiful post. I happend to blog hop over here and I am so glad I did. Thank you for sharing the story of your perfect little boy. You give me hope and I thank you for that.
Amanda

Tara Bennett said...

I love this. You're amazing, and Caleb is whole.