Monday, April 26, 2010

The gift of you

A few weeks after Caleb was born, I remember daring to hope that he'd still be with me on my birthday. My birthday was 3 months away.
When Dallan would ask what I wanted my reply was always the same.
I just wanted Caleb.

Ever since Caleb had RSV and Pneumonia in February, he hasn't seemed quite able to get all better. He had a trach infection several weeks ago, and on my birthday he was diagnosed with pneumonia again. Doctors think it's likely that his trach infection didn't clear up like we had hoped, and that is what caused him to develop pneumonia.

Right now he is getting a 3 day series of shots, is taking 2 more antibiotics through his g tube, and is getting antibiotic drops in his ears because they are not feeling well either. We've increased his oxygen, and we're having him spend some extra time on his ventilator.
Poor little boy.

I know Caleb has had pneumonia numerous times. You would think I'd be used to it by now. I have to admit- it never gets easier. It's hard every time.
It makes me cry.

However,

When I was sitting in the waiting room wondering if we'd have time for birthday cake, I realized I had my most desired birthday wish. I was waiting for the doctor with my 5 year old little boy on my lap.
I got Caleb.
And I can't imagine a greater gift than that.


Dear Caleb,
I'm so thankful we got to share another birthday together.
Thank you for giving me the gift of - you.

Love,
Mom







13 comments:

Junior said...

Happy Birthday April and that sweet boy is the most perfect gift. Hugs and hope Caleb feels better soon.

minerfam said...

A perfect gift!
Hope he feels better soon!

Hugs-
DanaLee

Tara Bennett said...

And a beautiful gift he is! You are so special to always remember what truly matters and recognize your blessings! I am SO sorry poor Caleb is fighting all these infections and I will hope and pray right along with you for his speedy recovery. Love you!

Janene Baadsgaard said...

Oh April that made me cry. You are so right. What a gift Caleb is to all who know him.

Joy said...

What a great gift. I can't believe how big he is getting.

Candace said...

And what a unique and wonderful gift he is! No other mom has one! What a wonderful boy! I sure hope he can get over all this stuff quickly!

Barb said...

April,
Caleb's blog is sacred and I want to thank you for sharing it. I have been struggling to feel the spirit today but when I read your recent posts and your mom's words on the sidebar, I felt the Spirit of the Lord so strongly. Thanks.
Happy Birthday and I will pray for Caleb tonight.

Ashley Baadsgaard Worthen said...

This post was just so sweet. I love you, April!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday April!

I don't think you would get used to it ever, it your beautiful son and it's not nice to see him go through such continuous illness.

Thinking of you and keep up the great advocacy!

xxx

Lacey said...

I see you have that great child bed. We were talking about that the other day for when Jax needs a big boy bed!

Becky said...

What a wonderful gift indeed. I'm so grateful that he's still here with you and I'm praying that he will recover soon. Pneumonia is so painful and exhausting. Kiss that cute boy for me!!!

arianne said...

That was beautiful. I think Caleb has had pneumonia more times than my kids have had colds. I don't know how you handle it.

Kel said...

Oh sweetheart. It is hard, isn't it? Every time. It's funny how you do get more used to the flow of the response to illness, but you never get used to your little one suffering and wondering what the outcome will be. So scary. You sure do well keeping it in perspective though, and I'm so glad he was with you for another birthday, even if you had to spend it in the hospital. I hope he recovers soon ... and completely.