Thursday, February 11, 2010

Thankful

It has been a whole year since we've been admitted to the hospital. One year ago we were just getting home from Caleb's g tube and nissin surgery. That surgery ended a long season of surgeries, pneumonias and hospital stays.

We came home with a ventilator so we could hook Caleb up to it at night and hopefully help his lungs improve. Bringing a ventilator home was an extremely difficult decision for me. I didn't want him to need it. I was worried that I'd eventually find myself in a place where he was needing it more and more, and I wouldn't know when enough was enough.

After praying about it, we decided to bring it home and use it as we saw fit. We felt like if it helped Caleb feel happy in his body, and if it helped us keep him at home rather than the hospital, then it would be worth it.

Now that it's been a whole year without a hospital stay, I would say it has been worth it. Especially now because Caleb has RSV. He has also developed pneumonia as a secondary infection. Because we have the ventilator so far we've been able to treat him at home. He's on antibiotics and is requiring extra oxygen through his ventilator- but he's HOME. He's been pretty sick, but we've been able to keep him stable. Today he even perked up long enough to give me a smile.

I still don't know what the future holds. I still don't always know how I feel about having a ventilator at home. I still don't want him to need it. But today....I'm thankful.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear Caleb has RSV with secondary pneumonia. Really hope he can fight hard and get well soon without hospital admission.


xxx

Brad and Hailey said...

Oh no! Poor boy! I'm sorry to hear he's sick! We'll keep him and your family in our prayers!

Candace said...

April,
I am sure it was a very difficult decision. That was how we were with Faith's feeding tube but in the end it was what she needed. I will pray that the RSV does not get the better of Caleb. That stuff scares me big time!

Janene Baadsgaard said...

We are SO grateful as well.

Emily said...

We are praying and hoping Caleb will recover quickly. I'm glad that for right now he can rest up in his own home with his brothers. Sure love you guys.

minerfam said...

A year without a hospital stay, how wonderful! I hope you can keep him home. Good luck! We will pray for all of you!

Love you!

Kel said...

I'm sorry Caleb is so sick. I'm sure every illness comes with it's own real worries. But to be at home! So wonderful. There's nothing quite like being in the hospital... and nothing quite like being home.

Get better Caleb!

Becky said...

This post is tender for me, knowing exactly how you feel. I'm so glad that Caleb can be home and that he has YOU as his primary nurse during this illness. Get better fast sweet boy!!! xoxo

Alanna said...

Wow! That's a big milestone. A year without the hospital. So sorry he's got RSV. Hope he's well soon!