I have a love/ hate relationship with Mr. Vent.
During one of Caleb's hospital stays for pneumonia, we were encouraged to bring him home on a ventilator. It was to be used primarily at night time to give his lungs a rest. I agonized over bringing it home. I wasn't sure that we wanted things to head in "that direction."
I hate that ventilators so often coinside with end of life. I hate that it might it mean making hard decisions in the future...
We carefully considered our goals with Caleb as we made our decision:
We want him to feel joy in his body.
We want him to be at home with us.
We decided to bring the ventilator home hoping it would help us reach those goals for our little boy.
Even though I hate what a ventilator sometimes stands for, I've developed more of a love/hate relationship with it.
Caleb has been battling pneumonia this week. I love that we've been able to stay at home. I love that we have the tools we need to help him recover in a cozy loving environment. He had a rough few days with a high respiratory and a high heart rate. He had blood coming out of his trach for almost 36 hours... yet, rather that spend the week or two in the hospital, we've been able to take care of him at home thanks to our ventilator.
We aren't able to stay away from the hospital for every illness, but our many machines have made it possible to stay at home more often.
Thank you Mr. Vent, for being the friend that I love to hate.

9 comments:
Oh, April, I'm so sorry to hear that Caleb has had pneumonia. I'm so grateful that you've been able to stay home with him. I'm so sorry what that vent can sometimes symbolize, but so grateful for the positive things it does for Caleb and for you when you need it most. Love you guys and hope Caleb is feeling much better very soon.
p.s. Usually when I visit blogs, I have my computer on mute, but I'm so grateful I had the mute button off during this visit. What a lovely soundtrack for a lovely life with Mr. Caleb. Love you guys so much! xo
How are things? Is he feeling better? I'm so glad he's been able to recover at home this week with his family all around.
Caleb is so lucky to have you, April.
XOXO
Hi April and Dallan--sorry that your precious angel has been battling pneumonia but so happy that you can have him at home. So scary for blood to be coming from his trach, but hope that has subsided and he is doing better. You are both so awesome, and I'll bet his brothers are glad that he is at home as well. I know how much they all love their sweet brother Caleb. Give those fat cheeks a kiss for me, and I send you all my love and prayers that Caleb will be feeling better real soon.
Thank goodness for relationships in which you don't have to feel guilty.
Give Caleb a kiss from me--I'll pray for his speedy recovery.
XO
oh poor Caleb. Hope he feels better soon. Pneumonia sucks big time. Things are so different here. There is no way we would be allowed to take a vent home - I wish our system was a lot different as it means we wouldn't have to end up in hospital so much.
Give him a kiss from us. xxx
I'm sorry your sweet boy has been sick. When Isaac has a cold or pneumonia we can put him on his bipap and he can rest his lungs. I didn't want to be friends with Mr. Vent at first....I was SO on the fence about this when they sent it home with us last winter. Now I'm glad we have it! Here's to staying home the rest of the winter.
Poor Caleb! What a challenge/blessing that machine is for your family. Get feeling better Caleb!
I need to call you!!! xoxo I know that feeling all too well. I'm sorry Caleb is sick but I'm so grateful that you are able to keep him home where he belongs and is most comfortable!!!
Sorry to hear this :( Really hope he improves asap x
Post a Comment