Our record of sweet Caleb's last 24 hours.
February 10, 2012 (7:30 AM-3:00PM)
We arrived at Primary Children's hospital at around 7:40 AM and were able to see Caleb at 8:00 when the Pediatric intensive care unit opened for parents. When we entered, Caleb was covered in a sterile cloth while doctors were working on getting a central and arterial line placed. Because his room was so small, Dallan and I had to sit in the hallway for about a half hour while they placed his lines. I sat in a chair, watched his monitors and sobbed. Caleb's oxygen level was around 80 even though he was still being fully ventilated with 100 % oxygen. I have never seen Caleb saturate oxygen that poorly for so many hours.
February 10, 2012 (7:30 AM-3:00PM)
We arrived at Primary Children's hospital at around 7:40 AM and were able to see Caleb at 8:00 when the Pediatric intensive care unit opened for parents. When we entered, Caleb was covered in a sterile cloth while doctors were working on getting a central and arterial line placed. Because his room was so small, Dallan and I had to sit in the hallway for about a half hour while they placed his lines. I sat in a chair, watched his monitors and sobbed. Caleb's oxygen level was around 80 even though he was still being fully ventilated with 100 % oxygen. I have never seen Caleb saturate oxygen that poorly for so many hours.
The attending physician who was just ending his shift came over to visit with us. He explained they were seeing some really aggressive respiratory infections in their patients, and we needed to know this illness could take his life. We were heartbroken, yet wanted to be optimistic. We had been told time after time that Caleb may not be able to recover from illnesses, but he always did. We pleaded with Heavenly Father to help us.
After several hours of not ventilating well, the respiratory therapist began to prepare an Oscillator. As the new attending doctor was deciding whether or not to hook him up, Caleb's Oxygen level rose into the 90's. We all breathed a sigh of relief. It looked like Caleb might finally be responding to treatment. His cheeks turned pink, and for the first time in almost 12 hours I felt like I could breathe. The medical staff began to clear out of his room, and the nurse worked on getting Caleb situated for the day. As she prepared to put a catheter in, I explained it could be challenging to get it in, so she let me hop up on the bed and get it in for him. It felt so good to finally help rather than be a bystander.
Caleb continued to stay in the 90's so at noon Dallan and I ran down to the cafeteria to get lunch and update our family. I remember telling my mom that Caleb still wasn't as stable as we hoped, but he looked like he was responding to treatment. When we returned to Caleb's room, he still looked sweet and pink, and his oxygen levels remained in the 90's. We sat by his side, held his hands, kissed his cheeks and hoped for the best.
At about 1:00 PM Caleb's blood pressure suddenly started to spiral. The attending doctor raced into the room, called a code and immediately began chest compressions. Caleb's room filled with doctors and staff while Dallan and I stood by in agony as we watched them try to save our little boy. I have never felt so broken, so afraid or so helpless. After about 4 minutes Caleb's blood pressure went back up, and he seemed to somewhat stabalize. At his point the doctor was feeling very nervous. She stayed in the room and asked us what our wishes were. She wanted to know what we wanted to happen if Caleb continued to spiral.
I can't count the number of times I have had this conversation with doctors. I always entered the hospital with a hopeful heart and the desire to be a good missionary companion for Caleb. I always tried to help those who cared for Caleb feel his spirit and feel closer to heaven. My response to our wishes for Caleb was always that he was "full code" and that I trusted Caleb and Heavenly Father would help us know if it should be otherwise. Over the years I have prayed and prayed that Heavenly Father would put my heart in the place if it was time to say good bye. I knew I would never be able to prepare my heart. I couldn't bear it. So I trusted Heavenly Father would help me if I ever found myself in that moment.
This time when the doctor asked me that question, I didn't know what to say. I have never seen Caleb so sick. He has never needed chest compressions before. His oxygen levels had dropped back into the 80's, and his cheeks weren't pink any more. His sweet little body was puffy with fluids and paralized with medication. He hadn't opened his eyes since the previous afternoon. I was so unsettled and unsure. I pleaded for Heavenly Father's help. Then 20 minutes after Caleb's first set of chest compressions, his blood pressure started to spiral again. The doctor prepared to begin compressions, but Caleb's blood pressure came back up on it's own.
For the next hour Dallan and I agonized about what we should do. We wanted Caleb to have every opportunity to improve. We didn't want to give up, yet we had never seen him require such aggresive life saving measures before. Then Caleb's blood pressure spiraled again. His room filled, a code was called and chest compressions began again. My heart completely broke. I couldn't breathe. I knew his body wasn't responding. As Caleb's blood pressure stabalized, I turned to the social worker and said, "We need to call our kids." I called my parents to see if they could bring our boys to the hospital because things weren't looking good.
I went to Caleb's bed side and hugged him. I rubbed my face in his hair and cried on his cheeks. I held his little hand in mine, and told him how dear he was to me. Then my sweet little boy, who had been paralized by medication for hours, opened his little eye and looked into my heart. And then suddenly, my heart was in that place. I cried as I whispered how precious he was to me. I told him how proud I was of him and how much I loved being his mother. I told him that if his little body was too tired, it was okay. Then my precious boy, who was never able to purposfully grasp anything with his hands, squeezed my hand twice.
Dallan was standing on his other side and was also holding his hand. As Dallan shared some quiet moments with him, Caleb also squeezed his hand several times. Our sweet son found a personal moment to tell us individually that he loved us and that it was time to say good bye.
15 comments:
My heart is so touched by Caleb's sweet message and your bravery. My heart also breaks for you every day. Love you.
Oh April! What a tender little mercy for you both. I'm sure when he was squeezing your hands, your heart melted. Much love to you!
April, I couldn't help shed tears as I read your post, especially at the part where you shared that Caleb had squeezed your hand twice. It brought to mind how my 6-year-old daughter and I squeeze twice to say "I love you" when we hold hands. You will be in my prayers tonight and my thoughts always.
so many tears :( I'm so glad that he was able to let you know. xxx
Tears are streaming down my face. I don't know what to say. It's so beautiful and heartbreaking. Oh, April.
Oh April what a special moment you shared with your little boy and how incredibly hard that must have been. My heart breaks for you that you had to go through that and that he had to go through that.
Thank you for sharing such sacred moments. You have helped anothet mother through her grief today. Thank you for being the Lord's instrument. Prayers are being sent your way.
Oh, what a miracle! It is all such a miracle. I could cry myself to pieces, and I also feel so much joy thinking of your family. The Lord truly blesses you, and it will be such a joyous day when you get that precious boy back in the eternities. Such a tender, tender time.
How difficult it had to be to recount these last hours of sweet Caleb's life but knowing that you had to do this for yourself and your family. For Caleb to squeeze your's and Dallan's hand truly amazed me. This sweet boy certainly knew his Mom and his Dad and had such great love for you both. It was hard for him to say goodbye, too. Love to all of you.
I have followed your blog from a far for a while now. I was so very very sad to read of Caleb's passing. I too have had to say good-bye, and it is so very, very hard. Thank you for sharing Caleb with us. I thank you for sharing your faith and your family with us all.
April such sweet precious moments as Caleb shared his love. we love you
I don't feel like I can properly comment on your touching post. My heart aches for you and your family. Your strength and your spirit is so inspiring. Thank you for sharing such a special and sacred moment in your time of grief. Prayers are with you and your family always.
As I red this post, I shed tears of such sadness then immediate happiness. He was squeezing your hand. He let you know, What a beautiful moment for you all. April, I do not know you, but you and especially Caleb have taught me. He is truly, such a gift from you Heavenly Father. What a sacred time you have shared with us. Thank you. My thoughts, prayers,cand heart is with you and your sweet family.
What a special experience to have him grasp your hands and look up at you like that. I cry as I can imagine your broken heart and I am amazed at your courage and faith!
My heart is touched by Calebs last day. By your binding love, and bravery. What an amazing and tender gift to be given. Many prayers for you. xo
Post a Comment