Sunday, January 9, 2005

January 9, 2005

(from my journal) Dear Caleb, this morning I got to hold you for the first time! It was like being in Heaven! I couldn't hold back the tears as I held your sweet body in my arms. I just rocked you back and forth and tried to memorize every bit of you. Your sweet spirit just seems to heal my soul. It saddens me so much to know that I may spend much of my life missing you. Do you know how dear you are to me?...Do you understand that the hardest thing I will ever do is let you go?
Today was your blessing day. We were able to gather in a hospice room with Dad and I, your grandparents, one of my aunts and our bishop. Your blessing outfit was huge on you but you still looked like an angel....there was such a special spirit in the room and your Daddy gave you a beautiful blessing....Each of us had a chance to hold you. It was such a special afternoon. That night you weren't breathing very well and we thought you were going to be put on the ventilator again. We were told to be prepared to decide whether or not we would want to do that or just let you go. My heart was in agony as I contemplated letting you go before I was ready. Fortunately, the doctors were able to re-position you and get you breathing again.
...as I was alone in my hospital room that night I was overcome with sadness. I just can't bear the thought of losing you...I want you to know how much I treasure you and although I don't understand why things need to be this way, I know that the Lord knows our needs and will comfort my breaking heart...


No comments: