Friday, June 25, 2010

The bloody baby

Today is Caleb's last day on omniceph. Omniceph is an interesting antibiotic because it turns his stools BRIGHT RED! I'm telling you this because the other day I took all of the kids to the library and Caleb did a huge blow out in his car seat. I picked him up and had red runny goo running down my skirt, plopping on the road and running through my hands. Not to mention Caleb was covered in it! A woman walked by and in a panic asked if she could get some help! "Don't worry," I said. "It's not blood. Just P**P." He certainly did look like a bloody baby, though.
It took me quite a while to clean us both up, but we stayed and enjoyed the library. It takes a lot of work to take the kids on an outing and it's going to take more than a volcanic eruption to make us turn around and go home!!

On a side note: Caleb is still having spells of severe agitation every day. His heart rate goes up to 200, and his respiratory rate is in the high 40's. His poor little body gets so tight that his face turns bright red, and he gets drenched with sweat. We're thinking it must still be his bladder. We've been waiting for some in home catheter training to see if helping him empty his bladder will do the trick. Hopefully we're on the right track!

Dear Caleb,
Thanks for finding a way share your love with us, even when your body is being tricky.
I love you my sweet boy.

8 comments:

Emily said...

I'm so sorry that had to happen on your outing to the library. Way to be prepared with an extra set of clothes for Caleb. You are such a trooper! I love you.

Candace said...

April, I can't help but laugh! You go girl, for sticking with the trip, though! I think I would have sat in the car and cried...

Janene Baadsgaard said...

Being a mom is just plain messy. I admire your courage to even leave the house.

Becky said...

Goodness...red poop, huh? That must have been quite the sight! I love that you always handle it with such grace. :) The last picture of him makes me laugh. It looks like he's giving a look to his brother. ;)

The VW's said...

Poopy messes are the worst, especially when antibiotics are involved and especially when you are out and about! I feel your pain.....although it sounds like Caleb wins the award for the biggest mess this time! Gavin has made some real messes, but Caleb's mess sounds quite impressive!

Your boys are ADORABLE!!! Hugs!!!

Colleen said...

LOL Our little guy just finished a round of omniceph and his poops also turned red. We had a new nurse come and work for us one day and she was thoroughly freaked out. I had to tell her that he was OK:)

Junior said...

Caleb we sure hope you get to feeling better.

Ewwww, we have had those moments. I am so impressed that you stayed and enjoyed your outing, super mom.

Kel said...

Ah poop. We don't even use bedsheets for our little one, just hospital chucks. :) And when you're out, well isn't that just the best? You painted quite a picture there! Way to go getting it cleaned up on the move. It's never as easy as when you're home.

I sure hope you figure out the source of Caleb's aggitation and can address it as necessary. I'm sure it tugs at your heartstrings. It does mine just to hear about it.