Friday, June 4, 2010

ER groupies

This past week Caleb and I have been ER groupies. We've been twice in the last 5 days.

Last week Caleb came down with pneumonia and a urinary tract infection. He was put on an antibiotic, but once his urine cultures came back, we found out that the UTI was resistant to the antibiotic and we'd need to go the ER for IV antibiotics. After a few hours in the ER, we decided to do inter muscular shots because the nurse was having a hard time finding a vein under all of Caleb's fluff. Since we opted for shots, I asked them if I could learn how to do them and continue them at home rather than bringing him in for the next 7 days.

So, since Sunday I've been giving Caleb a shot every night. I have to say, even though I do all kinds of nurse-y things with Caleb, (I've even placed an NJ tube-- my claim to fame in the PICU) giving him shots has been hard for me. But even though it's hard, I'm still glad I've been able to learn a new skill and keep Caleb at home.

About 24 hours after Caleb's first shot, he started to become extremely agitated. This went on for a couple of days until I finally brought him to my pediatrician. He asked us to take him to the ER at Primary Children's to make sure the shots were working because Caleb was obviously miserable. After a whole night in the ER, tests showed that his UTI was under control, the pneumonia was improving , and his blood work was in normal range. Doctors were puzzled as to why Caleb was so agitated, but we were able to come home the next morning.

Now, we're just keeping Caleb as comfortable as we can. I've been alternating Tylenol and Motrin with 2 ml's of lorazapam every 4 hours, and it's barely taken the edge off. Poor boy. Luckily- tomorrow is our last day of antibiotics, and I'll bet when the medicine is out of his system, he'll be back to his sweet little self!

12 comments:

Candace said...

Oh man April! It sounds terrible! Poor little Caleb! When I was first dxed with juvenile diabetes they made me and Carl practice giving shots on oranges to get the hang of it. I used to be so scared of needles but now, I never even think twice about it! LOL! Good mommy for learning something that freaks you out, to help little Caleb!

Ashley Dawn said...

Oh man, that poor little boy. Hope things clear up quickly. Antibiotics can be such a blessing and a curse all at the same time.

The Marrott Family said...

Feel better little boy, we're thinking about you and praying for you and your family.

Junior said...

poor little guy, as necessary as they are those antibiotics can sure be rough. Lots of prayers that he will be feeling better soon. Lots of love and hugs

Brad and Hailey said...

Wow I am so sorry Caleb! Poor guy! I hope he gets feeling better soon! I'm glad you're able to give him the shots at home. Feel better soon Caleb!

Anonymous said...

Hope Caleb is feeling better very soon xxx

Kel said...

I'm so glad you could bring him home and do the shots yourself, as hard as that is. I'm training to do IVs on Bridgette. I haven't had to insert a needle yet, but if it comes down to that versus a stay in the hospital... oh the types of pain we choose between.

I hope everything clears up super soon and that the agitation goes away along with the extra antibiotic.

The Five Jacksons said...

It is always so sad when the things that are supposed to help also hurt. It's hard to know what to do. Way to be strong learning how to help Caleb stay home. You are an amazing mom. I'm also very impressed with the NJ tube - when are you graduating to become a fluoroscopy doc? (haha)

Suzanne said...

loves from us!!

Jenn said...

Oh, I hope Caleb starts feeling better soon. So sad when you're kids are sick or in pain.

Lisa Christine said...

I hope he is doing better this week :)

Give him a hug for me!

arianne said...

I don't even like to watch them give shots to me. Whew. You're brave!