Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Answered Prayers

We would never expected to have Caleb home by Thanksgiving, but he is coming home tomorrow! We were doubtful for a while today...Caleb spiked another fever, didn't have enough wet diapers, and was labored in his breathing. After blood tests, urine tests, and another chest xray, they are still going to let him come home! His test results came back in normal range, and his lungs look the same as they did when we brought him in. They say he has chronic lung disease. In response to that diagnosis, Caleb started breathing better and has had his oxygen turned all the way down to 1 liter! He won't let chronic lung disease keep him from being home for Thanksgiving! He still has a ways to go, and we're gearing up for around the clock care for a while, but we're so happy we can snuggle him at home!
On another note, I had an answer to yet another prayer today. Caleb's nurse and technician were both asking me how we find balance with our other boys. I was telling them how privileged we feel to take care of such a sweet little boy and how the boys are really understanding of the ways we have to adapt. I told them that one of our biggest challenges was getting to church in the Winter. I can't leave Caleb with anyone who isn't trained to care for all of his needs. Because Dallan is the bishop, sometimes the older boys have to sit with ward members while I stay home with Caleb. Both the technician and the nurse we had today told me that they live in my same city and that they would love it if I would call them to help watch Caleb while I go to sacrament meeting with my other boys. I cried....a lot. One of these sweet ladies isn't even LDS, but saw that it was important to me and wanted to help. I was so touched by her Christ-like willingness to serve our family. Because they are nurses, they are already trained. Because they have been watching over Caleb the past couple of days, they already know him and his little personality. There are so many things that I've prayed for over the past few weeks. I almost forgot that request for help in the midst of so many health concerns. Heavenly Father didn't forget. I am humbled that while I've been praying for help and clarity with Caleb, Heavenly Father saw fit to answer this prayer at a time and in a place where I didn't even expect it.

1 comment:

Becky said...

another 'tender mercy'. HE knows YOUR name April. I'm so happy that Caleb comes home today. Give him an extra squeeze for me. :)