We've learned how to use many machines for Caleb's care. In the hospital it seems overwhelming, but once we're at home we find a rhythm that works for Caleb and our family. Today I told the team that I was willing to go the route of getting trained for home ventilation. Caleb doesn't have to have it at this point. But I think it would be a good tool for us to have. I'd rather learn now while we're in the hospital rather than another time or in a crisis situation. I explained that I knew they would give us a regiment to follow, but I wanted them to know that once we got home, we would decide if, when and how we wanted to use it with Caleb. Once I remembered that Dallan and I will be the ones who ultimately decide how we will use this tool, I felt more comfortable moving forward. I trust that Heavenly Father will help guide us so that we don't find ourselves down a road that we didn't intend to travel.
Today Caleb had a few adventures. He had a CT scan and a shunt series done. We wanted to rule out a shunt problem before we use medication to help control his seizure break through. He's also currently hooked to an EEG for the night so that we can gather seizure data. Usually his EEG's are highly abnormal and his seizure behavior doesn't show up as a "seizure" on the EEG. We'll get the results of his shunt xrays and EEG tomorrow. Then hopefully we can begin to address some of his aspirating issues.
Caleb is just so sweet...I can't resist those chubby cheeks, pudgy feet and fluffy hair. I could just snuggle him all day- even with all of those wires in the way. I just love this little boy!
Having a cozy rest...


A nifty new trach with a flex- extendor! Now we don't have to worry about his chubby little chin covering up the hole!

Getting all hooked up to the EEG

A cozy cap to keep the EEG monitors in place.
4 comments:
April, you and Dallan are certainly Caleb's angels. The Lord knew what he was doing when he placed Caleb in your loving arms. Bless you all. I've been reading your blog on a daily basis just to find out how your little spirit is doing. Love those little red cheeks of his. Give him a kiss for me.
Caleb, you are on such an amazing journey. I feel the hand of God in everything that comes your way. Never forget how much you are loved and how many people are praying for you. There are angels all around you and inside you for you are an angel too. - Grandma Baadsgaard
I can't help but be so drawn to those cute red cheeks. He looks darling no matter how many tubes, wires, etc are attatched to him. My great neurologist doctor always tells me that "it's just another tool in your toolbox." You reminded me of that when you spoke of the ventilator. I know that you and Dallan will make the best decisions for sweet Caleb - that is why Heavenly Father has entrusted him to YOUR care. :) LOVE YOU!
Caleb-
I only had the opportunity to meet you once, but almost 4 years later, I can still feel your sweet spirit! I will be forever grateful that I was able to meet you and your wonderful family. I am praying for you!
-DanaLee Miner
Post a Comment