Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Hospital holiday day 7
Caleb has been awake all day today! All of his PICU friends and helpers have loved seeing glowing face and sparkly eye! Caleb is still hooked up to an EEG-he'll be hooked up for another day or so. Of course he isn't showing the computer any of his tricky moves, but hopefully we'll still get some good data. I haven't heard how his shunt series looked, but I'm assuming no news is good news. Caleb has had a fever today so tests are being done to see what the cause is. I consulted with a pediatric surgeon today about a Nissin/G tube surgery. Caleb's lungs show signs of chronic aspiration and the nissin would greatly help keep Caleb from aspirating anything he refluxes from his stomach. The surgery would entail wrapping a part of his stomach around his esophagus to tighten it up- then the g tube would allow us to feed Caleb through a hole strait into his stomach instead of the feeding tube through his mouth. I was hoping we wouldn't have to do this surgery, but I think it's in Caleb's best interest. Otherwise we just keep putting out fires without tackling the bigger problem. So far the plan is to hopefully get Caleb transferred to a trach/vent unit sometime tomorrow. We'll begin ventilator training which takes 3 days, and then hopefully we're on the road to home. The nissin/g tube surgery will likely happen at the end of January after he's had a few weeks to fully recover. The doctor suggested we bring Caleb home on a OJ tube (a tube that feeds Caleb right into his intestines, bypassing his stomach) so that we can avoid another aspiration before the surgery. The upside- we probably won't have to deal with Caleb spitting up. The downside- we'll have to have him on a continuous feeding and if the tube comes out, we have to have it put back in at the hospital. Luckily Caleb is always up for another grand adventure!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Good luck with the big surgery. Sorry you've had so many big problems recently! Love ya, Alanna
It sounds like you have a pretty good plan set in place. I'm thankful that his hospital stay will be over soon. I'm sad it won't be in time for his birthday though. Ben for some reason always spent his birthday in the PICU...silly boy. We love you guys!
We are thinking of you guys and hope you get home soon! Sorry to hear about all that you are going through! Love you, Jamie
We are thinking about you! Hope all goes well with cute little Caleb!
Post a Comment