Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Hooray for HOME!

Caleb came home from the hospital on Sunday night- Hooray! We met a home health nurse at our home who taught us how to care for the PICC line, and immediately started his IV medications.

On Monday night Caleb had quite a severe reaction to his gentamicin Medication. We gave him some benadryl through his PICC line, and the doctor said if he didn't improve in 30 minutes, to take him to the ER. I asked one of our good neighbors who is an RN to take a peek at Caleb so I could have a fresh set of eyes look at him. He noticed that Caleb's PICC line didn't have a cap on it. So, long story short, we were discharged on Sunday without a cap on the PICC line which meant it could have been contaminated in the 24 hours we had been home. At that point we were then advised by our pediatrician's office to go to the ER right away.

So, Caleb and I had a little adventure in the ER together last night. They ended up taking some blood from the PICC line to have it cultured, then they put the appropriate cap on. We got home around 3:30 AM, with orders to bring him back if he developed a fever or noticed any signs of infection.

I guess Caleb thought we needed a little night on the town- and there's no place like the ER for a little late night adventure!

14 comments:

Rebecca Jackson said...

Oh my goodness. What an adventure! Sounds like Caleb is doing better...and so are you. We'll keep you all in our prayers.

shirlgirl said...

Sounds like some of the things that Benji liked to do to his Mom as well. These little spirits just want to keep you hopping. Hope he is doing better and that all goes well with is PICC line. Give Caleb a kiss for me on those cute cheeks of his.

The VW's said...

Glad to hear that you are home....praying you and Caleb can stay there!

Good thing you have a nurse as a neighbor! Having to go back to the hospital was probably a pain, especially so late at night, but at least things were taken care of before an infection set in!

Tell Caleb that HOME IS THE PLACE TO BE! Love, Hugs and Prayers!!!

Lacey said...

I guess one good thing about when we go to the ER, we rarely have to wait long. With his history we never wait in the waiting room. Hey, I'll take what I can get!!

The Marrott Family said...

Bless your heart!! Hang in there. I hope your little man starts to feel better. You're an amazing momma, April!

Brad and Hailey said...

I'm glad he's home now! I'm sorry to hear about the ER adventure though!

Kel said...

Ai-ai-ai and a big oy vey! How is he now? I hope you're both napping at this very moment. Wishing you the best, my dear!

Colleen said...

What an adventure! I hope Caleb is feeling much better now.

Bugg's mama said...

That Caleb sure does like to be a rascal. Or is it that he gets to spend alone time with his mama? Anyway, WELCOME HOME!

Love, Bree

Tara Bennett said...

I'm glad you had someone close who could figure it out quickly. Even though it's a giant bummer to have another ER visit, I'm glad it is taken care of now.

Anita said...

You two and your adventures!!! Haven't you heard there's no place like home? So glad to hear you're back to "normal." Give each other a snuggle for me.

Anita said...

You two and your adventures!!! Haven't you heard there's no place like home? Glad to hear you're back to "normal." Give eachother a snuggle for me.

Becky said...

We love you little Caleb. Thanks for being SO brave!!! xoxo

Emily said...

What a brave duo you two are! I'm sorry for the long night at the hospital. Can't wait to spend some time together in the next few days.