Monday, February 20, 2012

If tonight was my last night with you.

Over the past several years I've worried about what I would say when I had to say good bye.... a few days ago I found this journal entry that I wrote several years ago....

Written in May 2008 when Caleb was struggling with pneumonia...
... Last night I tucked Caleb into bed with me and snuggled him for a while. While I worried and listened to him breathe, I was thinking- if tonight is my last night with you, what would I want to say?
If I knew I had to say goodbye to any of my sweet boys, what words would I want them to hear from their mom? I've asked myself that question numerous times especially during tender times with Caleb. It seems like there should be a bigger way to say "I love you"- Where are right words to say that I love them so much that it takes my breath away- that I love them so much that sometimes it even hurts- that I love them so much that my heart wants to beat for them?
I know that before they were born just the "hope" of them filled my heart with joy- that when I was expecting I loved knowing that they were growing right next to my heart- and now that they are here, my heart is wrapped so tightly around them that I can't breathe....
My heart has been tender as I've wondered what I should say to Caleb today. How do I tell him how dear he is to me and how proud I am of him? But then when I wrap my arms around him, and when I'm really still, I can feel his heart telling me that he already knows- and that "I love you" is enough.

15 comments:

Jenny said...

It's enough. And he knows.

Alison said...

So beautiful. I bet your boys feel how much you love them every day, even when words couldn't possibly capture it, not even the best words. Thinking of you at this sad time. xo

The Kings said...

He definitely knows you love him and always will :) xx

arianne said...

Your words are treasure.

The Johnson Crew said...

My heart aches for you and your family. I wish there were words to make things better and take some of the pain away. I never met sweet Caleb but I could feel his sweet spirit from pictures of him. I pray you feel him near and the love and comfort from our loving Heavenly Father.

All our love
The Johnson's

brigette said...

What a tender thing for you to have journals are amazing things! I hope you dont mind on Friday I did a little blog post about Caleb. His story and your family really touched my heart. I have a card to send since I wasnt able to make the funeral. Do you have a address I can send it to? Praying for your sweet family and sending lots of love!!

The Johnson Crew said...

We would love to send you something to help remember your sweet Caleb, could you email me a favorite picture and your mailing address and then delete this comment.
Lots of love
Gayle Johnson

gm-tinker@hotmail.com

Brad and Hailey said...

April that is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Debbie said...

April that was so sweet to share with us. he knew he was loved by many just by his tender spirit he shared with us all, especially his family. He is going to be truely missed and my thoughts and prayers are still with your sweet family.

Jennie said...

A beautiful post, April. Our hearts are with you right now as well. We think of you and hope that you feel the love of all of us and of our Father in Heaven.

Amy said...

Beautiful!

Becky said...

I love you April...I have no doubt that Caleb knew and KNOWS just how much you love him! xoxo

Lisa said...

Thank you for sharing such deep and personal feelings. I think while you were worrying how to say how much you loved him, Caleb was wondering how to express is deep love for you. I know he will always remain close to you.

shirlgirl said...

Thank you for sharing those very personal feelings, April. I am more than certain that Caleb knew exactly how much you loved him, even before he was born. Your boys are so blessed to have such a wonderful Mom as you are to them, and to have been given Caleb, even for seven miraculous years, our Heavenly Father knew exactly what he was doing when he chose you to care for him and love him. Sending you love and hugs.

Janene Baadsgaard said...

April, your capacity to love has changed the lives of everyone who knows you.