Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Surgery adventure

(writing from the hospital) Caleb had an adventurous day today! His surgery was delayed because it took over an hour to place the IV, so the poor little guy finally had it placed in his neck! One IV went bad during surgery so they placed another one on the other side of his neck. He looks like he could be a line-backer with his swollen little neck! We expected the surgery to take an hour and a half, but it took 3 times as long. The end of Caleb's esophagus was in pretty rough shape, so the nissin procedure was quite complicated. His surgeon said they rarely see esophagus's in that condition,and he lost more blood than they they anticipated. The good news, it definitely confirmed that the nissin was the right thing to do because the damage was likely caused by reflux. The bad news, It was a complicated procedure and the g tube was placed a bit lower than the surgeon would have liked. As a result, the surgeon is worried that the g tube that is placed is going to impede his ability to empty his stomach. So, in a month after he heals, he is going to switch it for a different one that is smaller and will work better for a child in Caleb's condition. The good news, it only has to be replaced every year or so instead of once a month like the other one. The bad news, I can't do it myself, it has to be done at the hospital under anesthesia.
Caleb is stable now and has been settled in his room for the past couple of hours. He was able to avoid the PICU and is in a special room on the floor for trach/vent patients. He doesn't have a feeding tube attached to his face any more, and he's being so brave. The plan for tomorrow is to start slow feedings and do some testing to see how his stomach is emptying. Hopefully he'll have a cozy night and he'll feel good enough for some snuggling tomorrow! I'll post a few pictures when I get home!
We love you Caleb, We are so very proud of you!

8 comments:

Jen said...

Your family is such an inspiration. I will be praying for Caleb.

Many Blessings,
Jen
http://godsshiningstars.blogspot.com/2009/01/pray-for-angel.html

Rodney and Deborah said...

Great Job Caleb! We Love You. You are a very special child of your Heavenly Father and he loves you. The Briggs Family

Junior said...

I found your blog through another blogger friend. Caleb is such a cute little guy. Prayers that he will recover quickly from his surgery.
God bless, Heidi & Junior

Kelly said...

What a long day! We are glad to hear that the surgery went well, but are sad that it was so long :( Our thoughts and prayers are with him! We love you!

Janene Baadsgaard said...

Caleb,
You are my hero. I'm so glad you are OK. I know that Heavenly Father is watching over you. You bring so much light and joy into our family. I love you. Grandma B.

Becky said...

What a LONG day. I really was worried for him. I'm glad that things are okay - and I'm assuming you are talking about a J-G tube? Those are the ones that usually have to be surgically replaced. (bummer) But it's good to see his face 'tube free', although that boy is beautiful no matter what! Love you! Get some rest.

Suzanne said...

Yea - No PICU!! I am sorry that the surgery took so long. Those moments waiting for little Caleb are so awful. I am glad that he is able to work on recovering to stay at home this time. You are such a neat family. Enjoy your cuddle times together and we will keep you in our prayers.

shirlgirl said...

Glad that the surgery is behind all of you now and hope that Caleb makes a quick recovery. Hopefully things will go well for him now. He's in my prayers.