Today was tube day! When I arrived at the hospital I learned that his lung was still collapsed and didn't show any signs of improvement. The doctors decided to do a better ultra sound. The results showed a large amount of fluid, so they determined he had a pleural effusion as result of the surgery trauma. They prepared to insert a chest tube by giving Caleb some medicine to put him under, but Caleb didn't respond very well. Even after increased doses, he never did fully relax! He also had a histamine reaction to it which made him break out in a rash all over his body. When he was finally relaxed enough, they made a small incision in his side and place a chest tube between his ribs and into his lung to drain the fluid. He lost 600 ml's of fluid right away! Another chest x ray was taken to see how his lung looked, and it looked so much better... but.... the x ray also showed that the other lung was doing the same thing! So sweet little Caleb has chest tubes placed on both sides. He'll likely have them for around 3 days until they stop draining. His lungs look a lot better though! The surgeons have been down to visit him multiple times and, they feel so bad about the set-back. Caleb is such a little trooper!
Today I went to a 2 hour class to be trained on his g-tube, and started taking care of his tube at the bedside. The g tube site is in good shape and seems to be healing well!
Caleb's sweet face looks much better today! No more chipmunk cheeks! He was tickled with a surprise from his buddy and he loves his BYU Blanket from his valentine!




13 comments:
He does look much better from yesterday, poor boy. I am so sorry for his setback. Chest tubes are one thing we have never experienced. I'm glad that they have helped though - 600mls is a LOT of fluid, wow! Hope each day gets better and better.
What a trooper, Caleb!! Thanks for sharing updates and those sweet pictures. Many more Moody miracles to come...
Oh, yet another glitch in Caleb's recovery. Glad they decided to place chest tubes to drain the fluid and inflate his lungs. He does look so much better, too. He still has those cute little kissable cheeks--so give him a kiss for me. April, I have something I want to send you.It pertains to one of your blog entries and I thought it was something you would like. I'll give you my email address and perhaps you could send me your home address. I've emailed Ben because I don't have Joy's email address and I haven't heard from him. My address is hutchins_d@comcast.net. There is an underscore between the last name and the "d".
Caleb, Keep up fighting, you are doing great. Your Heavenly Fathers hears the prayers of everyone on your behalf. Your family loves you very much and all of your friends. The Briggs Family
Glad to hear that his healing has taken a step in the right direction. I hope that progress continues a day at a time. :)
-DanaLee
April,
I found your blog through seriously so blessed. Your little guy is amazing! Our Lilly was born very much the same way, and she was just a total blessing to our family! I wish you had won. I voted for you and I really kinda feel guilt for winning. I was wondering if this week, my niece is having her second heart surgery and she will be on the PICU. I would love to meet you and Caleb. I will completely understand, but I would love to meet such a Celestial little guy and truly an angel of a woman! My email is littleforeverfamily@gmail.com!
Heart hugs,
Emily
Sorry to here about Caleb. Sounds as though he is going through another ruff patch. My prayers are with you, and your whole family. I hope that he will get better soon and may god bless you with the strength that you need to be there for him and the rest of your family. ن شاء الله
I am so sorry he's going through this. But I know the Lord is watching over him, as do you, so he couldn't be in better hands.
Chloe did her usual excited kicks when she saw Caleb again today. It's amazing the love she has for him.
Caleb and your family are in our prayers.
Sorry to hear that he is still having some complications. Hope that the chest tubes help and he will recover soon. I think of you often and hope that he will be home soon!
I found your blog through seriouslysoblessed . . . I nominated my friend Rachel for the contest, so I followed it closely. I just wanted to let you know how happy I am that you'll walk away from the contest with some fun pampering and photos and stuff! You truly deserve it! My Uncle has very severe CP, and wasn't ever expected to live to be 2 weeks, then 6 months, then a year, etc . . . he's 45 years old now and although his abilities physically and mentally are very limited, he has such a special place in our family, and such an amazing way of communicating with us, and I have been very, very close to him since I was a small baby. I have a real testimony that children like your son are such noble, amazing spirits, and that God trusts these most beloved children with incredible families, and especially mothers. It's definitely not an easy life to have somebody so dependent on you for everything, but you must be a truly remarkable woman to do all you do, raise such a beautiful family and I know God has very specific and special blessings he gives families (parents and siblings) of children like your son! Best of luck with all you do. Your family is beautiful and I hope you truly enjoy your day of pampering!
Sending lots of prayers!
oh my...he is so stinking precious! i am in love with those cheeks. what a sweet dude! i pray he keeps his little self healing...he's a little fighter!
Caleb is both handsome and strong. But he's not the only one who deserves compliments. You, your husband, your other boys... what an example you all are to me and my family. My compliments to his surgery staff and nurses too without whom so many miracles would not be possible.
Post a Comment